We’ve talked before about the seasonal threat of bushfires.
But what about house fires? They pose a risk all year round but the danger is often overlooked and we become complacent.
Here are some simple reminders to improve fire safety around your home:
- Never leave your cooking unattended. Always keep your stove company.
- Keep your stove and counter surfaces free of clutter, grease, and especially flammable objects like bug spray or air freshener.
- Set a timer to remind you to switch off a burner or the oven to avoid the risk of distraction.
- In the laundry, ensure your dryer duct is vented outside
- Clean lint from the filters regularly
- Don’t leave candles unattended
- Have your chimney cleaned
- Check your smoke detectors are working. The batteries might need replacing.